I took this picture while in Las Vegas on December 23, 2003. Would anyone be interested in a 1280x960 version? My full resolution copy of this is 1515x1136.
Some notes about the image...
* It was a cloudy sky, and it had been lightly raining that day. This added a nice backlight to the whole area.
* Nobody was standing on the opposite walkway. Usually it is packed with people.
* This was taken right after a water+light show, and the wind blew the mist on to the front area of the building. I think it looks pretty cool.
Digital editing notes (Photoshop 7):
* I removed some of the mist to the right of the "bulge" (center/near ground) by compositing in a sliver of a photo taken 2 days earlier. This added much to the aesthetic of the image.
* There are two main layers: foreground (hotel) and background (sky/clouds)
* The background layer was blurred using smart blur w/ edge overlay
* However, to make the hotel "edges" not show up, the copy of the hotel that was in the background layer was shrunken to ~75% of its size!
* Clone stamp was then used to remove and touch-up artifacts in the sky/clouds. To see what I was doing I had to add an adjustment layer that brightened it way up, which I then turned off for the final compositing.
* There was a lot of tweaking to the masks used for the foreground and background (had to ensure that the foreground edges stayed sharp, while maintaining the soft background)
* Lots of color balancing and saturation tweaking.
All in all, I think I'm more satisfied with this Photoshop work than when I gave Rena Tanaka a new pinky finger. Sadly, that one was removed from dA because it violated policy (I didn't own the copyright for the original pictures).